Sunday, 16 February 2014

Raised beds are Installed!

Today we started out relatively early and we managed to get loads dome at the allotment.  The ground was rather wet and the water table was just 4 inches under the surface but with the first day of sun and no rain for weeks we carried on anyway!
Raised beds installed

We coated the raised beds in linseed oil before we constructed them to give them a bit longer life.  They were very cheap but until I am fully sure it is the way to go I didn't want to spend too much.  They went together really easily, and will un-slot easily if we want to change them.  We positioned them were the soil has been flooding to raise the planting are up above the water.

I filled them with soil and manure and then between the beds we put weed inhibiter and some free wood chips available on site.

We also did a bit more digging, brought down a few more paving stones and laid a couple in front of the shed, removed the raspberries that I inherited as they are hopelessly small fruit and hubby moved the Hotbox compost bin inline with the others.  I will have to add all the changes to my gardening program at

All in all it's been a very productive day.  May even be the beginning of Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment